SOLID WOOD CONTERTOPS
SOLID WOOD CONTERTOPS – KITCHEN COUNTERTOP
Why the solid wood countertop is the perfect choice for your kitchen
- The wood countertops will grant your kitchen that natural warm appearance you always longed for. The wide variety of wood species that we offer translates into a similarly wide variety of colours and shades, allowing you to find the perfect match for your kitchen and home. Expressions of the Mother Nature’s play, individual variations in colour and grain patterns or individual marks will further add personality and make your top quite unique. Unlike many other materials that are heavily promoted by diverse fashion trends and then sooner or later enter a shadow cone, the solid wood, due to its friendly and familiar glow, remains a choice that will always be in fashion, no matter how the interior architecture will evolve. There is no man-made material that can compete with the hardwood’s naturalness, variety and beauty, neither there is another material that can better grant us that sense of “home comfort” the way the wood does. Needless to say, hardwood surfaces blend naturally with wood cabinetry and hardwood floorings, visually tying the kitchen together in a harmonious whole.
- Despite its hardness, the wood surface does not dull the knife-edges; and because it represents a natural material, with a minimum of chemical, synthetic components, it is extremely safe in contact with foods. The wood countertops become, thus, the Chef’s favourite option when it comes about cutting, slicing and chopping, for preparing and rolling dough, as well as for many other kitchen duties. The feedback we got from many customers, contractors and business partners suggests that no other countertop surface can offer a similar multi-functionality. The hardwood surfaces considerably attenuate the clatter even in the noisiest houses and provide a surface much gentler with porcelain, glass and crystal items than most other materials.
- If cared for, there is no reason your countertop wouldn’t last a lifetime. As a matter of fact, not only it is likely that your children will be using it, but, as it ages, the wood will get a more attractive look. The European beech, the oak and the maple that we proudly supply are counted among the most durable wood species available. Each and every lamella you can see within our wood tops was carefully selected before being processed into butcher block-type panels. Beside this fact, our full warranty against delamination will further reinforce the warranty for your countertop life span.
- The mineral oil that we recommend for finishing offers a fairly good overall protection. Most of the stains that might occur can be removed by using a moist cloth, while the persisting stains, scratches and scars will be easily removed by sanding the area where they occur. A new coat of oil will make your countertop look new again; in fact, the wood countertop represents the only renewable area from your entire kitchen.
- Scientific studies proved that the wood surfaces are much less prone to bacterial colonization than plastic, laminate or stainless steel surfaces. The studies, aiming at micro organisms such as Escherichia coli, Staphylococus aureus, Campylobacter jejunii, Listeria monocytogines, Salmonella sp. that constitute the cause for the most frequent food diseases found that while the great majority of solid surfaces (including polyester plastic, laminates and granite) allowed the bacteria to persist and multiply (although they were easily cleaned and disinfected), the wood surfaces killed the bacteria within 3 minutes, without any external intervention. These bactericide properties the wood chemical structure strongly exhibits are likely to promote the wood tops as the first choice of a health-conscious person.
- Not only the wood countertop does allow a wide variety of options regarding the edge profiles, but it also matches the most integrated kitchen solutions (like granite insertions, stainless steel grids, drain boards or knife slots or holders, etc). Hardwood surfaces can be used as an island top, as a section of countertop, as an inserted kitchen cover or as a butcher block hidden under the countertop that can be pulled like a drawer. Your imagination will surely find plenty of other interesting, nice-looking applications.
- The average price for wood countertops falls far below the prices of granite, marble, solid surface, tile, concrete or steel tops. As long as don’t want to spent your entire kitchen allowance on countertops, but you also want something different than laminates, than look no further; since the solid wood appears to be the most affordable material you can use. If we are to define the quality as a specific blend of aesthetics and functionality, then we strongly believe that the solid wood countertops would offer the best price/quality ratio. This is a fact that we tried to emphasize in the table below, by listing very briefly the most relevant pros and cons for the main materials you might consider for your kitchen tops.
|Solid surface||Stainless steel||
Can I cut on it?
|Can I roll dough on it?||No||No||Yes||No||Yes||Yes|
|Can I place hot items on it?||No||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes|
|Is it stain-proof?||No||Yes, except for the grout||No||Yes||Yes||No|
|Main advantage||Low cost||Aesthetics||Durable||Durable||Can form integral sink||Great functionality and easy care|
|Main disadvantage||Hard to repair||Not a smooth surface||Expensive||Limited
|Shows scratches and fingerprints||Must be sealed near sink|
|Average price||The lowest||Medium||The highest||High||High||Low|